They were very helpful
The Big Band Sound of Your Back Yard!
Activity: Backyard Composition
1. Find an area outside your home (your patio, backyard, balcony, front yard, or common area) where you’ll be able to sit, undisturbed, for approximately 10 minutes.
2. Listen to the sounds in front and to the sides of where you’re sitting, paying close attention to their timbre, dynamic level, and placement of each sound you hear.
3. Name the sounds and list their occurrence according to presentation order, location, and duration, using the graphic, below, as your template.
For instance, if you hear birds singing quietly to the center-right of your location, indicate that in your diagram in area D, also noting when the sound occurred and for how long it occurred. If a moment later you hear a car horn to your far left, indicate that in area A. Also indicate the sound’s dynamic level.
4. Collect sounds for approximately 10 minutes.
5. You can go inside now. Your task at this point is to (a) decide what different musical instruments found in the typical swing band of the 1930s best match each sound you heard, and (b) what performance direction you could provide for each instrument to suggest the qualities of each sound you heard. You should use a chart similar to the example below to help you organize your thoughts.
We’re surrounded by sound and new sounds enter our environment all the time. You should have 15 or more sounds indicated in your composition (some of them may repeat, if that’s what happened when you were collecting sounds).
Sound Location Time it Occurred Duration Musical Instrument(s) Performance Instructions
1 Air conditioner A 1:15pm Ongoing Ride cymbal Soft Ride rhythm played with brushes
2 Car starting E 5 seconds later 2 seconds Trombone Quick ascending notes starting low and ending high.
3 Parrots squawking Start at A, sweep to C 1:17pm 6 seconds Saxophones Rhythmic dissonant sounds that decrescendo
6. Give your composition a title.
7. Upload your work to the Backyard Big Band drop box.
Your experience is very similar to the creative experience that many composers complete. Beethoven often walked in the forest and listened to sounds for inspiration. Many jazz performers were inspired by city sounds, industrial sounds, or the sounds of the countryside. For example, can you hear the sounds of the city in Taxi War Dance or Harlem Air Shaft, from CD 1 tracks 8 & 9 from your Jazz Classics disk?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more